Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Attitude is Everything

I'm new to the MS community, with being diagnosed just last year, but I know one of the main tools we all have is our attitude. I find myself 'unfollowing' MSers on Twitter, because nearly everything out of their mouths, or rather 'Tweets' is negative. It drives me up the flippin' wall!

Newsflash: MS doesn't kill you.

I've watched friends and family struggle to say good bye to those they are close to. Most of the time it's from a struggle with cancer or a sudden accident that takes someone too soon from this world.

MS doesn't do that. We aren't counting the days from our diagnosis to fill as many items on our bucket list. Yes, we might be limping, falling, or mumbling while going through life, but thank God we have the opportunity to finish life.

Maybe I'm on a soap box, maybe I'm offending you, and to tell you the truth, I really don't care. If I'm offending you by my rant, please take a look at yourself and understand that attitude is everything in this uphill battle we fight every day.

Here's how I stay positive:

I'm thankful for the things and people I do have. I'm thankful for the support system that constantly surrounds me day to day.

Turn lemons into lemonade. I've heard the saying "when life give you lemons, stuff them in your bra to make your boobs bigger" - I love it! It make me laugh and really puts things into perspective. I only stuttered 3 times during the meeting at work today, better than falling 3 times! (BAM, that's how you do it).

Reward yourself with a nap. I work a full time, corporate job and then come home and cook nearly every night. I consider myself an overachiever if I'm able to do a load of laundry during the week. On Saturdays and Sundays, I snooze during the day. I rest, that keeps me happy and motivated me for the next week.

Lastly, and the most important thing, I exercise. I know what you are thinking, this is usually a depressing activity. But for me, it works. It usually relieves any headache I've been fighting the whole day and gives me a ton of energy. I walk or run until my body yells at me! Believe me, this is the best way to strengthen your outlook on life. I also pray during my runs, usually that I don't die (seriously) but also thanking God for the strength and ability I have to run. It drives me to finish and helps with my attitude for days to come.

Sorry, but I'm not sorry for my rant on attitude. We are surrounded by bad news every day, we need to support one another instead of constantly posting and tweeting negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment