Thursday, January 23, 2014

5 Sources of Vitamin D

Vitamin D is something that most Multiple Sclerosis fighters have to take in supplement. I take 5,000 unites of Vitamin D a day. I couldn't tell you if it works or it doesn't, but I always try to soak up the nutrients in what God gave us.

Here are a few ways to increase your Vitamin D intake everyday.

Soak up the Sun
I know, we aren't supposed to get too hot or else things start feeling funny, but soaking up the sun is the best way to get these vitamins. Here are the best ways to do it while staying cool:

  • Take a Swim
  • Sit in the Shade
  • Sit inside but a window
  • Use a portable fan
  • Purchase a FroggTogg - These are amazing!
  • Include short increments of inside/outside to stay cool


Mushrooms
I LOVE mushrooms! I can't get enough of them. I prefer them cooked over being raw in a salad, but I usually always have them on hand. Some of them are a source for what MSers need, Vitamin D. Below outlines each type of mushroom and the units of Vitamin D in each. 

Source: Mushroominfo.com
Fatty Fish
I don't eat much fish, I eat shrimp and shell fish, I just don't cook much fish. I love fried fish (freshwater bass), but I just can't fill up on a tilapia filet, not to mention, my husband usually isn't too thrilled when I do cook fish for dinner. He's more of a meat 'n potatoes type of guy. 

However, there are some ways to get Vitamin D by eating fish. These include canned tuna, salmon, sardines, and mackerel. 

Sign me up for the canned tuna, who doesn't love a tunafish sandwich? 

Fortified Foods
These include foods or drinks that have Vitamin D added to them. Think about Milk, Cheese, Cereal, and orange juice. When including these in your diet you definitely need to check the label and make sure that there is Vitamin D added to these products.

Supplements
This is what I take every night, and probably what many of you take, but also consider fish oil and cod fish oil under this. All of these can be taken as a supplement and will serve as a way to get the Vitamin D that your body really needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment